; inflammatory arthritis is likely to cause more swelling of the joints which causes pain and discomfort. Other symptoms which occur can include fatigue, weight loss and early morning stiffness of the joints.
It’s important for us to understand more about the condition which affects so many of us and try to get to grips with various ways in which to treat it.
Aromatherapy massage is often prescribed as a gentle, alternative therapy to alleviate the symptoms of arthritis. Massage can help stimulate circulation, ease sore muscles and help us to feel relaxed; promoting emotional wellbeing and reducing stress.
We’ve highlighted just five of the many essential oils that could be helpful for those that suffer from this condition.
(1) Marjoram – sweet and herbaceous. Marjoram is a really relaxing oil to use and is thought to be beneficial for easing stiff and painful joints. It is also thought to be helpful in relieving muscle spasms and bruises. Top Tip: Marjoram’s gentle calming effects make it a great addition to a relaxing bath – add 2 drops Marjoram and 3 drops Lavender.
(2) Eucalyptus – great for helping improve circulation, Eucalyptus has been historically been used to help soothe inflammation and muscle spasms with its warming effect. Often recommended for those suffering from aches, pains and stiff muscles. Top Tip: Blend 2-3 drops with 5ml of carrier oil and massage gently over any areas which may be stiff and painful.
(3) Frankincense - the active components in Frankincense - Boswellic acids are thought to be helpful in soothing sore and inflamed joints. Top Tip: Use in a compress – fill a small bowl with warm water and add 3-5 drops of Frankincense oil. Soak a washcloth, wring it out and wrap around the affected area.
(4) Juniperberry – detoxifying and purifying. Juniperberry has often been recommended to help relieve nerve pain, joint and muscle spasms. Top Tip: Enjoy a detoxifying bath with 4 drops Juniperberry, 3 drops Grapefruit, 2 drops Cedarwood.
(5) Rosemary – one of the most stimulating oils. This can help it to promote good circulation in our bodies. It is often used in aromatherapy massage to help reduce pain and stiffness with its warming effects. Top Tip: Blend 2 drops Rosemary, 2 drops Peppermint with 5ml Carrier oil. Massage in circular motions over affected joints to enjoy the warming and penetrating effects.
Thank you for reading and remember to keep up to date with our Facebook & Twitter pages for more tips, advice and competitions!